Georgia Agricultural and Mechanical University (GAMU) is an 1890 land grant institution of coeducational higher learning with a commitment to excellence in scholarship, leadership, service and character. The Agricultural and Mechanical Normal School for Colored Students was founded in 1890 as a result of the Second Morrill Act enacted by Congress which mandated “a separate college for the colored race.” On October 12, 1891, fifteen students began their academic careers under the instruction of two faculty members. In 1919, the school gained the capacity to grant bachelor’s degrees and became known as Georgia Agricultural and Mechanical College. Two years later, with an enrollment of 346, the college awarded its first degrees. Under the leadership of the school’s first president, Dr. M.R. Bernard [1921-1953], the college grew in scope and size. During his administration, 300 additional acres of land were purchased;. 42 buildings were erected; and enrollment surged to over 4,000 students. In 1952, graduate degree programs in business, social studies, and nursing were added, elevating Georgia Agricultural and Mechanical College to Georgia Agricultural and Mechanical University.
Today, Georgia A&M University offers 41 bachelor’s degree programs and 26 master’s degree programs and awards doctoral degrees in biological sciences, chemistry, computer information systems engineering, psychology, curriculum and instruction, educational administration and supervision, and social work. Under the leadership of GAMU’s seventh president, Dr. Eva Fletcher, the University is poised to continue its longstanding legacy of excellence.